Monday, May 18th, 2026

Ecuadorean woman thought dead found alive in hospital mix-up after 3 weeks



ECUADOR: A 74-year-old Ecuadorean woman who was declared dead from the coronavirus is found alive, in a case of mistaken identity in hospital.

The relatives of Alba Maruri were informed of her death last month and they were sent her ashes.

The doctors in the hospital were shocked when, three weeks after her time in a coma, Maruri awoke on Thursday and asked doctors to call her sister.

The hospital has apologized for the mix-up. The relatives of  Maruri were overjoyed at the news.  Maruti lives in the city of Guayaquil, the epicenter of Ecuador’s Covid-19 outbreak.

Ecuador has been badly affected by the pandemic, with more than 22,000 cases and nearly 600 reported deaths.

The family was told about her death on Mar 27; they were shown the corpse in the hospital morgue and  Maruri’s nephew, Jaime Morla standing at a distance had confirmed it was her.

“I was afraid to see her face,” he told AFP. “I was a meter and a half away. She had the same hair, the same skin tone.”

Coronavirus nightmare in Ecuador’s port city Guayaquil

The body was taken away and cremated, and the ashes were sent to the family.

But then on Thursday, Maruri regained consciousness and told the astonished doctors her name. She provided them with her home phone number and asked for her sister, Aura, to pick her up.

A team from the hospital visited the family home to apologize and said the hospital had been in chaos at the time because of the number of coronavirus cases and deaths.

The family members say they want authorities to compensate them for the mix-up and to reimburse the cost of the cremation.

Maruri has also been bought a new mattress as her family had thrown her old one away.

(With inputs from agencies)

Publish Date : 27 April 2020 20:23 PM

House to continue budget discussion Tuesday; finance minister to respond Wednesday

KATHMANDU: The House of Representatives will continue discussions on the

Nepal Bar Association to hold symbolic lantern protest over Supreme Court situation

KATHMANDU: The Nepal Bar Association has announced a symbolic protest

16 complaints filed against proposed Chief Justice Manoj Sharma

KATHMANDU: Sixteen complaints have been filed against proposed Chief Justice

Nepal Medical Council suspends decision to revoke licenses of 36 non-resident doctors

KATHMANDU: The Nepal Medical Council has suspended its decision to

Harka Sampang defends placard protest inside Parliament, says PM must be accountable

KATHMANDU: Chairperson of the Shram Sanskriti Party Harka Sampang has