Monday, May 18th, 2026

YouTube shuts accounts over misleading information



AGENCIES: Google has shut down 210 channels on YouTube as part of a “coordinated” attempt to post material about the ongoing protests in Hong Kong.

The firm said attempts had been made to “disguise the origin of these accounts and other activity commonly associated with coordinated influence operations”.

The search giant linked its move to similar action taken by Twitter and Facebook earlier this week.

However, unlike those companies, Google stopped short of explicitly saying it believed the Chinese government had been behind the now-disabled accounts.

Nor would it share further details on the nature or motivation of the material it had taken down from its platform.

“Earlier this week,” a statement read, “as part of our ongoing efforts to combat coordinated influence operations, we disabled 210 channels on YouTube when we discovered channels in this network behaved in a coordinated manner while uploading videos related to the ongoing protests in Hong Kong.

“This discovery was consistent with recent observations and actions related to China announced by Facebook and Twitter.”

A Google spokesperson would not comment when asked by the BBC whether Google agreed with Twitter’s assessment that it was a state-backed misinformation campaign, designed to undermine the protest movement in

Publish Date : 23 August 2019 14:54 PM

Nepal Bar Association to hold symbolic lantern protest over Supreme Court situation

KATHMANDU: The Nepal Bar Association has announced a symbolic protest

16 complaints filed against proposed Chief Justice Manoj Sharma

KATHMANDU: Sixteen complaints have been filed against proposed Chief Justice

Nepal Medical Council suspends decision to revoke licenses of 36 non-resident doctors

KATHMANDU: The Nepal Medical Council has suspended its decision to

Harka Sampang defends placard protest inside Parliament, says PM must be accountable

KATHMANDU: Chairperson of the Shram Sanskriti Party Harka Sampang has

Petition filed at Parliamentary Hearing Committee seeking rejection of CJ nominee Sharma

KATHMANDU: A written petition has been filed at the Parliamentary