Tuesday, February 17th, 2026

Israel and Iran agree to Trump-brokered ceasefire



TEHRAN: After nearly two weeks of escalating hostilities, Israel and Iran have agreed to a ceasefire plan brokered by U.S. President Donald Trump, following a limited retaliatory missile strike by Iran on a U.S. military base in Qatar.

The 12-day conflict, which shook the already tense Middle East, is expected to come to an end with both nations agreeing to halt military operations as of Tuesday morning. However, the hours leading up to the ceasefire saw some of the most intense strikes of the war.

Shortly before dawn on Tuesday, Iran launched what it called a final wave of missiles targeting Israeli cities, killing at least four people and injuring eight others, according to Israel’s Magen David Adom emergency service.

Israel responded with widespread airstrikes across Iran, targeting military leadership and government facilities, claiming to have “achieved complete air superiority over Tehran.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the ceasefire deal, coordinated with Trump, was a strategic success.

“Israel has achieved all its military objectives in this 12-day operation, including neutralizing threats from Iran’s nuclear and ballistic missile programs,” Netanyahu told his security cabinet.

He also warned that “any violation of the ceasefire will be met with a strong Israeli response.”

The Israeli assault on Iranian cities lasted until just before 4 AM Tehran time. In retaliation, Iranian missiles sent Israelis scrambling to bomb shelters at sunrise.

While Trump declared the ceasefire effective via a post on Truth Social, writing, “The ceasefire is now in effect. Please do not violate it!” — Iran’s state TV only confirmed its implementation at 7:30 AM local time and reported no official response from Tehran.

Earlier, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi indicated his country would stop attacks if Israel ceased its “illegal aggression” by 4 AM Tehran time. “There has been no formal agreement on a ceasefire,” he posted on X. “But if Israel halts its attacks against the Iranian people, we have no intention to continue our response. A final decision will be taken afterward.”

Despite agreeing to pause the military campaign, both sides have expressed deep skepticism. Iranian officials have yet to issue an official endorsement of the ceasefire, and concerns remain over the deal’s durability.

Publish Date : 24 June 2025 14:02 PM

Ballot paper printing completed for HoR election

BHAKTAPUR: Printing of all ballot papers required for the upcoming

KP Oli to unveil election commitment letter in Jhapa-5 today

KATHMANDU: Chair of the CPN-UML and candidate from Jhapa-5, KP

Gold price drops by Rs 900 per tola, silver gains Rs 25

KATHMANDU: The price of gold declined in the domestic market

976 crime cases registered in Kathmandu in the last month

KATHMANDU: A total of 976 crime cases were registered in

Traditional farewell ceremony held for Naga Babas at Pashupatinath

KATHMANDU: Naga Babas and other sadhus who arrived at Pashupatinath