US sending troops to bolster Saudi defenses after attack

Khabarhub

September 21, 2019

Reading Time: 1 minute

US sending troops to bolster Saudi defenses after attack

Photo: AP

  • 3
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    3
    Shares

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump on Friday approved sending American troops to bolster Saudi Arabia’s air and missile defenses after the largest-ever attack on the kingdom’s oil facilities, which Washington has squarely blamed on Iran, media reports said.

The Pentagon said the deployment would involve a moderate number of troops – not numbering thousands – and would be primarily defensive in nature.

It also detailed plans to expedite delivery of military equipment to both Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

Reuters has previously reported that the Pentagon was considering sending anti-missile batteries, drones and more fighter jets.

The United States is also considering keeping an aircraft carrier in the region indefinitely.

(Agencies)

Just In

0