Many people still look at long hour hours on the job as proof of their work ethic. Some historians trace the work ethic to the Protestant Reformation in the 1500s, when working hard was thought to align with the values of their faith.
But in recent years, researchers have found that working long hours is linked with a variety of health issues, as Jennifer discovered. (Abiding by Workaholics Anonymous policy, she gives only her first name.) Among the ailments linked with long work, hours are a stroke, heart disease, mental health problems, diabetes, and abnormal heart rhythms.
1. You need alcohol to turn off the work thoughts
2. Your productivity slips
3. You’re missing sleep
4. You feel depressed
5. Your heart is struggling
6. Your back and neck are aching
7. Your relationships are suffering
8. Your Performance Is Slacking
9. You’re More Irritable Than Usual
10. You’re Being Overly Self-Critical