Sunday, August 23rd, 2026

Over 13,000 land ownership certificates restored after Gen-Z protest fire



BANKE: The Land Reform and Land Revenue Office Banke in Nepalgunj has restored records for more than 13,000 land ownership certificates that were destroyed during the Gen-Z protest in September 2025.

The office said more than 13,000 land ownership certificates were destroyed when the office building and documents were burned in an arson attack on September 9, 2025, during the protest.

Following the incident, services remained suspended in September and October. The office resumed operations from a rented building from November 17, 2025.

According to chief land revenue officer Sabin Singh Chaudhary, records for 13,409 land ownership certificates that were destroyed in the fire have been restored between November 2025 and March 2026.

 “We are continuing the process of restoring the records destroyed in the arson during the Gen-Z protest and are trying to provide services as smoothly as possible,” Chaudhary said. He added that although the large number of service seekers has caused crowding at times, the office is working to ensure that service delivery is not affected.

Chaudhary said land records created after 2017 had already been digitized, making their restoration easier. However, restoring records issued before that period has taken longer due to procedural requirements, including publishing public notices in newspapers to verify ownership details.

To assist service seekers, the office has also set up a citizen help desk to provide support and coordination for those seeking services.

Chaudhary urged the public to use the help desk instead of relying on private document writers, which can add financial burden. He said services are being delivered without delay except when there are technical issues with the online system of the Department of Land Management and Archive.

Publish Date : 26 March 2026 12:55 PM

Youth arrested with ‘shotgun’ looted during Gen-Z protest

BHADRAPUR: Police have arrested a 20-year-old man from Damak with

Body of youth missing after falling from Chipley waterfall found

KAILALI: The body of a youth who went missing after

Nepali climber opportunities should be prioritised: MP Sherpa

KATHMANDU: MP Mingma Gyabu Sherpa has called on the government

All criminal incidents remain in police’s ‘institutional memory’: IGP Karki

KATHMANDU: Inspector General of Police Dan Bahadur Karki has said

Rabi warns party leaders: ‘Don’t give voters a reason to question us’

KATHMANDU: Rastriya Swatantra Party (RSP) Chair Rabi Lamichhane has urged