Sunday, May 24th, 2026

Industry Minister says closure of Hetauda Cement Industry is unfortunate, vows government operation



BAGMATI: Minister for Industry, Commerce and Supplies Gauri Kumari Yadav on Sunday inspected the Hetauda Cement Industry, which has been struggling with financial problems for a long time.

The minister visited the state-owned cement factory to assess its condition and also held discussions with the management and employees regarding the repeated shutdowns and operations the industry has been facing over the years.

Speaking at an interaction program following the inspection, Minister Yadav said it was extremely unfortunate that a government-owned cement industry had remained closed, adding that the government was preparing to bring all shut-down industries back into operation.

“We are studying how the Hetauda Cement Industry can be operated regularly,” Yadav said. “It is very unfortunate that many private cement industries are operating regularly while a government-owned cement industry remains closed.”

She said the government has taken the problems of the Hetauda Cement Industry seriously and would soon work to resolve the issues and create an environment for regular operation.

“When an industry shuts down, not only are jobs lost, but the country’s economy is also affected,” the minister said. “Therefore, the government wants to operate the cement industry by any means possible, and cooperation from all sides is necessary.”

Stating that the government alone could not ensure the regular operation of the factory, Minister Yadav stressed the need for equal support from both management and employees. She reiterated the government’s commitment to supporting the regular operation of the currently closed industry.

During the program, Acting General Manager of Hetauda Cement Industry Shivanarayan Sah said the factory had been shut down due to outdated and deteriorating machinery, which frequently breaks down, and the inability to supply raw materials because of financial constraints.

He said the factory had continued limited cement production through periodic maintenance of the machinery, but operations had to be halted recently after raw material supplies stopped.

Sah also informed that due to financial difficulties, employees had not received salaries and allowances for the past 11 months. He added that the industry had also been unable to clear old dues to raw material suppliers and pay electricity bills.

According to him, the industry could resume regular operation if the immediate financial problems were addressed.

Established in Lamsure, Hetauda, in 2033, the industry began cement production in 2043. Technicians say the equipment has now become outdated and is no longer capable of efficient production.

Publish Date : 24 May 2026 18:01 PM

RSP lawmaker Shrishti Bhattarai responds to criticism over viral photos

KATHMANDU: Srishti Bhattarai has responded to criticism surrounding viral photographs

RSP approves schedule for first national general convention

KATHMANDU: The Rastriya Swatantra Party (RSP) has approved the preparatory

Over-speeding accounts for over 50 percent of road accidents

KATHMANDU: Over-speeding has been identified as a major contributing factor

Hotel owner attacked in Kanchanpur

KANCHANPUR: A hotel owner in Kanchanpur has been attacked in

Govt committed to resolving citizen issues gradually, says Minister Pokharel

KATHMANDU: Minister for Education and Sports Sasmit Pokharel has expressed