Sunday, August 23rd, 2026

RSP removes Tashi Lhazom’s name from PR closed list



KATHMANDU: It has been revealed that Tashi Lhazom’s name has been removed from the closed list of the Rastriya Swatantra Party (RSP). She had held the top position in the cluster of indigenous women.

The Election Commission and RSP sources confirmed that Tashi’s name was removed a few days ago during a comprehensive revision of the party’s closed list. The party has not provided a clear explanation for her removal, though sources indicate it followed the emergence of controversial issues related to her.

Legally, candidates can only be removed from a closed list if they submit a petition requesting withdrawal. While several candidates had publicly stated on social media that they intended to withdraw, NIPP sources said that none had formally filed a petition.

Instead, the party reportedly revised the list on its own, removing some candidates who did not wish to withdraw. For this reason, the revised closed list was kept secret until now.

In Tashi’s case, she did not wish to withdraw, but the RPP reportedly informed the Election Commission about controversies involving her, prompting the Commission to consider her removal. Tashi has expressed her dissatisfaction with the decision and met with RSP Chair Rabi Lamichhane at the party office on Tuesday.

This marks the second major setback in Tashi’s political career while she was on the verge of attaining a significant position. Previously, she had been in consideration as Minister for Women, Children, and Senior Citizens in the Sushila Karki government. However, the appointment was blocked due to controversies regarding her citizenship and other issues, leading Prime Minister Karki to retract the decision.

Tashi had formally joined the RSP and actively participated in the party’s primary elections, securing a significant number of votes. She was given priority in the closed list, positioned at the top due to her perceived middle age and electoral appeal. If her name had remained, she was considered highly likely to become a proportional representation MP.

Publish Date : 14 January 2026 15:35 PM

Economic Digest: A Snapshot of Nepal’s Business News

KATHMANDU: Economic Digest presents a brief yet comprehensive roundup of

Baglung’s Sukurdung school overcomes classroom shortage with 12 new rooms

BAGLUNG: Saraswati Secondary School in Baglung’s Sukurdung, Dhorpatan Municipality-9, has

Free eye camp conducted at Nakhu Prison

KATHMANDU: Nepal Eye Hospital recently organized a free eye screening

Carney says new US tariffs are a ‘miscalculation’ as Canada trade talks fail

TORONTO: Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has described the latest

Heavy showers expected in some hilly areas

KATHMANDU: Monsoon winds are currently influencing weather conditions across Nepal,