Controversy erupts at Maoist Statute Convention over office bearers « Khabarhub
Wednesday, June 12th, 2024

Controversy erupts at Maoist Statute Convention over office bearers


14 February 2024  

Time taken to read : 2 Minute


  • A
  • A
  • A

KATHMANDU: The ongoing statute convention of the Maoist Center has become a ground for differing opinions on whether the party’s office bearers should be elected directly or through the central committee, as outlined in a proposed draft law.

The establishment side’s proposal, presented during the statute session, suggests an indirect election process through the central committee for the appointment of office bearers.

However, a faction within the convention is advocating for the direct election of office bearers, leading to a contentious debate.

A participant, who spoke to Khabarhub on the condition of anonymity, stated, “We insist on the direct election of office bearers, mirroring the process for Central Committee members. However, the founding party has introduced a provision to elect office bearers from the Central Committee, sparking disagreement.”

The legislative session, held at Nepal Academy, Kamaladi in Kathmandu from February 13, proposed the formation of a 151-member central committee with 11 office bearers.

The discussions on party Chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal Prachanda’s proposal are currently underway in 20 separate groups.

Chairman Prachanda’s proposal suggests that 51 percent of central members be directly elected, with the remaining 49 percent being nominated.

However, sources reveal a strong demand from the assembly for a 60/40 distribution instead.

Publish Date : 14 February 2024 14:25 PM

Today’s national news in a nutshell

Khabarhub brings you a glimpse of major developments of the

Lawmaker Gurung proposes downsizing federal ministries to 12

KATHMANDU: Deputy General Secretary of CPN-UML, Prithvi Subba Gurung, has

Bhattarai criticizes label of ‘Indian agent’, calls for new political force to address national issues

KATHMANDU: Dr. Baburam Bhattarai, Chairman of Nepal Socialist Party and

CK Raut advocates for directly elected Prime Minister system

KATHMANDU: The Janamat Party Chairman and lawmaker Dr. Chandra Kant

Former CJ Shrestha informed about RSS services

KATHMANDU: Former Chief Justice Kalyan Shrestha today visited the RSS