10 things to know about new Indian Ambassador Kwatra
KATHMANDU: India is sending Vinay Mohan Kwatra as its new ambassador to Nepal. He is expected to arrive in Kathmandu in February. Here, we try to give brief information about Kwatra.
- Vinay Mohan Kwatra is a member of the Indian Foreign Service (IFS) with an experience of over 30 years in a range of assignments. Kwatra holds a master’s degree in science. He is also a diploma holder in international relations. He joined the Indian Foreign Service in 1988.
- He speaks French fluently and has a working knowledge of the Russian language. Unlike many other IFS officers, he speaks fluent Hindi.
- Reports have said Kwatra’s name was also considered to be the private secretary of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. But PM Modi chose a younger IFS officer — Sanjeev Singla for the post.
- As a diplomat, Kwatra’s first assignment was in Geneva. During his tenure there, he dealt with UN organizations such as the International Labor Organization (ILO), the World Health Organization (WHO), among others.
- From Geneva, he was posted to the Consulate in Durban, South Africa where he was mainly responsible for commercial and economic works. Later, he was posted to China as Deputy Chief of Mission to the Indian Embassy, where he handled trade and commerce.
- Meanwhile, at the Indian Embassy in Tashkent, Kwatra served in its political and economic wing.
- He has also served as Director at the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), dealing with India’s relations with Iran and Afghanistan. He handled India’s development program in Afghanistan.
- He has also served as the Director and Head of Economic, Trade and Finance issues at the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC).
- From May 2010 till 2013, Kwatra served as Minister (Commerce) in the Embassy of India in Washington.
- As Kwatra is replacing Manjeev Sing Puri, his new assignment in Nepal is also expected to further strengthen Nepal-India ties. He is married to Pooja, who has done her Master’s Degree in Business Administration and M. Phil. in Finance. They have two sons.
Also Read, Vinay Mohan Kwatra to succeed Puri as India’s new ambassador