Tuesday, May 19th, 2026

Turkey confirms first case, puts hospitals on alert



ISTANBUL: Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca confirmed that the first case of the coronavirus had been identified in the country as the epidemic grips neighbors including Iran, the hardest-hit nation after China and Italy.

“A male Turkish citizen has tested positive for coronavirus on Tuesday evening,” Koca said at a televised news conference early Wednesday, adding that the person contracted the virus from Europe and that his family was also placed under monitoring.

Turkey has also canceled vacations for all health personnel as a precaution, Koca said. The lira weakened against the dollar.

Turkey has a population of 83 million people and also hosts the world’s largest refugee population with around 5 million people, largely Syrians who’ve fled the country’s civil war.

Turkey had stopped all passenger flights with Italy, South Korea, and Iraq and has started screening passengers arriving from abroad.

(with inputs from Agencies)

Publish Date : 11 March 2020 17:40 PM

Deuba-led NC faction opens liaison office in Anamnagar

KATHMANDU: The dissident faction of the Nepali Congress (NC) has

Labour Ministry introduces new code of conduct for employees

KATHMANDU: The Ministry of Youth, Labour and Employment has implemented

Proposed CJ Sharma pledges transparent judicial appointments

KATHMANDU: The Parliamentary Hearing Committee is conducting a hearing on

MP raises issue of allegation against Krishna Kumar Karki in Parliament

KATHMANDU: Allegations that Rastriya Swatantra Party (RSP) lawmaker Krishna Kumar

1,181 climbers obtain permits to scale Nepal’s mountains

KATHMANDU: The number of foreign climbers seeking permits to scale