Thursday, April 3rd, 2025

NHRC urges government to respect freedom of press, expression


06 June 2020  

Time taken to read : 2 Minute


  • A
  • A
  • A

KATHMANDU: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has urged the government to bring short term, midterm and long term plan and programs for the journalists’ safety.

Issuing a press statement today, NHRC Spokesperson Bed Prasad Bhattarai has said such programs are essential to control misbehavior and violence against journalists.

The payment to working journalists and their access to information need to be ensured, Spokesperson said, adding that a total of 22 journalists reporting and monitoring the lockdown faced spate of intimidation- arrest, attack, threat and misbehavior.

“They were also denied information by the government offices; some of them did not get payment and faced condition to quit the profession and many media were bound to close service. It not only deprives citizens of their right to information but also the expression,” the statement added.

Manage quarantine well
The human rights watch body has further urged the government to manage well the quarantines set up in a bid to control and prevent the spread of coronavirus across the country.

In the wake of increasing coronavirus infection, the crisis is likely to deepen. The quarantines set up in various districts including Jhapa, Rautahat, Parsa, Sarlahi, Saptari, Kapilvastu, Banke, Dailekh, and Kanchanpur have failed to maintain minimum standard, thereby ignoring protection of human rights.

The government’s attention has been drawn to fulfill its responsibility to protect citizen’s fundamental rights and human rights enshrined in the constitution. Everyone staying in quarantine needs to be tested for coronavirus via PCR method, NHRC stressed.

COVID-19 pandemic has so far claimed the lives of 11 persons and infected over 2900 in Nepal. Currently, there are more than 167,000 people staying in quarantine in Nepal.

Publish Date : 06 June 2020 20:24 PM

Come here and find a solution: Sunita Dangol tells Mayor Balen Shah

KATHMANDU: Kathmandu Deputy Mayor Sunita Dangol openly challenged Mayor Balen

Health Ministry urges high precautions amid rising air pollution

KATHMANDU: The Ministry of Health and Population has urged the

Employees break lock, allow KMC Chief Administrative Officer back into office

KATHMANDU: After nearly four months, Kathmandu Metropolitan City (KMC) Chief

RPP leaders to meet acting PM over Tinkune protest

KATHMANDU: Top leaders of the Rastriya Prajatantra Party (RPP) are

Guragain’s door won’t open until Mayor gives permission: City Police Chief Pandey

KATHMANDU: The ongoing controversy surrounding Kathmandu Metropolitan City (KMC) has