Lured to China with US$ 500 salary, 44 Nepali women return home penniless « Khabarhub
Wednesday, July 24th, 2024

Lured to China with US$ 500 salary, 44 Nepali women return home penniless



KATHMANDU: Compass Recruitment Private Limited had sent 44 Nepali women to China to work in a factory based in Liaoning Province two months ago.

China job aspirants had signed a contract with Chetnathaji Garment Factory via the Compass Recruitment Private Limited. According to the contract, they were supposed to receive Rs US$ 500 per month apart from accommodation, food and telephone facilities. As per the contract, they had to work for eight hours a day and five days a week.

 

Victims waiting in front of the Department of Foreign Employment (DoFE) to make the authorities listen to their woes.

However, the company did not provide them pay perks as laid down in the contract. According to Sabita Limbu, a victim from Taplejung district, the company forced them to stitch garments against the deal. As per the contract, they were supposed to do jobs related to packaging.

They were given only US$ 150 per month. When things did not turn out as per the deal, they returned home with recourse to Embassy of Nepal in Beijing after one and a half months. They arrived in Nepal last Monday with not more than Rs 5,000 with them in hand.

For justice, the victims are knocking the door of the Department of Foreign Employment (DoFE). Ram Karki, operator of the Compass Recruitment Private Limited had assured that they would get US$ 500 in salary per month before they were sent to the Chinese garment factory, Limbu told Khabarhub.

Returnees from China at the Department of Foreign Employment (DoFE).

Likewise, Chinimaya Tamang from Nuwakot, another victim, said the manpower company had assured that she would get handsome pay perks including food and accommodation and that her job would be related to packaging.

“When we reached the factory, we were given only Rs 5,000 in salary per month and were forced to stitch garments against the deal,” complained Tamang.

Meanwhile, the victims have filed a complaint against the manpower company, demanding compensation. Hari Gyawali, Director General of the DoFE said that action would be taken against the manpower company if found guilty. “We are investigating the case,” said Gyawali.

Victims talk to Khabarhub correspondent at the Department of Foreign Employment (DoFE) in Kathmandu.

The victims aged between 19 to 35 are from Jhapa, Morang, Dharan, Dhankuta, Sarlahi, Sindhupalchowk, and Kathmandu. It is learned that the victims came into contact with the manpower company through their agents.

Sabita happened to come into contact with the manpower company through Dipak Limbu while Durga Paudel, another victim, through another agent. Victims had given Rs 80,000 to Rs 100,000 to the manpower company through their agents.

Even though the department took action against nine manpower companies last year, they are still supplying Nepali workers to foreign countries.

Publish Date : 01 August 2019 10:07 AM

Today’s national news in a nutshell

Khabarhub brings you a glimpse of major developments of the

Electricity lines restored to 6 industries

KATHMANDU: The Nepal Electricity Authority (NEA) has reinstated electricity lines

113 people killed in floods and landslides since monsoon rains began

KATHMANDU: Since the onset of monsoon rains on June 10,

India sets target of 179 runs for Nepal in Women’s T20 Asia Cup Match

KATHMANDU: India has set a target of 179 runs for

Finance Ministry identifies 46 challenges facing Nepal’s economy

KATHMANDU: The Finance Ministry officials briefed Finance Minister Bishnu Prasad