Sunday, February 22nd, 2026

Over 7,000 people affected by dengue in Sudurpaschim over three years



KANCHANPUR: The risk of dengue infection in Sudurpaschim Province continues to be a serious public health concern.

According to data from the Health Directorate in Dipayal, a total of 7,683 people have been infected with dengue across the province over the past three fiscal years.

Hemraj Joshi, Insect Disease Officer at the Health Directorate, reported that 3,349 people were confirmed with dengue in Sudurpaschim during the fiscal year 2080/81 BS. Although the number slightly declined in the fiscal year 2081/82 BS, with 3,316 cases, the threat of infection remains significant.

So far in the current fiscal year, 1,018 people have contracted dengue in the province. Officer Joshi said, “Although the dengue incidence has decreased slightly compared to last year, the risk has not been eliminated. The impact is particularly high in the Terai districts.”

According to the directorate, Kailali and Kanchanpur are the most affected districts. Recently, due to climate change and increasing urbanization, dengue cases have also started appearing in hilly districts, he added. The provincial government and local authorities have been running the ‘Search and Destroy Larva’ campaign to control the spread of dengue.

However, health officials say that the infection has not been fully controlled due to insufficient public efforts to prevent water stagnation around homes and to adopt personal preventive measures. Officer Joshi emphasized that awareness is the most important tool to control the disease, which is transmitted by the Aedes aegypti mosquito.

The Health Directorate has urged residents to immediately visit the nearest health facility for testing if they experience symptoms such as fever, joint pain, or headache.

Publish Date : 22 February 2026 15:17 PM

UML candidates in Bhaktapur unveil election manifesto

KATHMANDU: Candidates of the CPN UML in Bhaktapur have made

Minister Aryal pledges full government support to strengthen RSS

KATHMANDU: Home Minister Om Prakash Aryal has assured that the

EC recommends three-day public holiday during polls

KATHMANDU: The Election Commission Nepal has recommended that the government

Congress says insecurity rising, candidates facing humiliation and mistreatment

KATHMANDU: Spokesperson of Nepali Congress, Devaraj Chalise, has alleged that

Congress, NCP and RSP united on corruption probe, UML silent

KATHMANDU: Three major political parties, Nepali Congress, Nepal Communist Party