LONDON: Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, are planning to relocate to the UK from the United States later this month, according to reports.
The couple is expected to move to a private residence outside London that is not part of the royal estate. Their children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, are due to begin attending a British school in September, according to BBC.
King Charles was informed of the couple’s plans on Sunday. However, there are no indications that Harry or Meghan intend to return to their former roles as working members of the Royal Family. They are expected to continue living as private individuals.
The King was reportedly unaware of the planned move before last weekend. He is said to welcome the prospect of spending more time with the Sussex family privately. Prince William and Catherine, Princess of Wales, have also been informed of the couple’s plans.
Harry and Meghan moved to California after stepping back from royal duties and leaving the UK in early 2020. Their relationship with other members of the Royal Family has remained strained since then, although recent developments have suggested some improvement, BBC reported.
In July, Harry, Meghan and their children visited King Charles at his private residence at Highgrove in Gloucestershire. The Palace described the gathering as a private family occasion. It was reportedly the first time the King had met his grandchildren in person in more than four years. The planned move was not discussed during that visit.
Harry and Meghan had not returned to the UK together since 2022, when they attended the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II.
Security arrangements have remained a major source of tension for Harry, particularly regarding his visits to Britain. His July visit was reportedly reconsidered after his request for police protection was rejected.
Last year, Harry lost a legal challenge against a decision to reduce the level of security provided to him and his family during visits to the UK. The decision followed his withdrawal from royal duties and move to the United States.
Following reports of the Sussexes’ planned return, a Home Office spokesperson said security decisions concerning members of the Royal Family are made by the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec). The spokesperson added that the UK’s protective security arrangements are “rigorous and proportionate.”
Harry has previously said concerns about his family’s safety have made him reluctant to return to the UK with Meghan and their children.
(Inputs from BBC)








Comment