American golfer Nick Watney tests positive for coronavirus (Photo: Getty Images)
KATHMANDU: American golfer Nick Watney has withdrawn from the RBC Heritage after he tested positive for coronavirus prior to round two.
Watney, 39, delivered a negative test prior to the tournament and shot a three-over-par 74 in the first round.
However, a PGA statement said that “before arriving at the tournament” on Friday, Watney “showed symptoms consistent with the illness”.
American Webb Simpson shot a six-under 65 to lead on 12 under as the second round was halted early by poor weather.
Simpson, the 2012 US Open champion, leads fellow American and playing partner for the first two rounds Bryson DeChambeau and Canada’s Corey Connors, who shot a bogey-free eight-under 63, by one shot.
“It’s satisfying knowing I’m not nearly as long as some of these guys and I’m able to use my skills of distance control and shot shape to pick me back up when I’m 40 yards or 30 yards behind these guys,” said Simpson.
DeChambeau, who created headlines at last week’s Charles Schwab Challenge with his bulked up frame and long driving, had six birdies in eight holes as he posted a 64 but he missed a five-foot birdie putt on his last hole..
“I still haven’t figured out something with my putting,” said DeChambeau.
The RBC Heritage is the second PGA Tour tournament since golf restarted after a three-month hiatus caused by the coronavirus pandemic and California-born Watney is the first to test positive following its return.
(With inputs from Agencies)