Kathmandu road wears a deserted look during lockdown. (File photo/Khabarhub)
KATHMANDU: The High-Level Coordination Committee for the Prevention and Control of COVID-19 is preparing to change the modality of the lockdown enforced to stem coronavirus since March 24.
Secretary of the Office of the Prime Minister and Council of Ministers Narayan Bidari said that the committee is preparing to recommend to the Council of Ministers to change the modality of lockdown by separating the risk areas.
The committee held discussions with health experts today in which experts suggested increasing the scope of testing, contact tracing and better management of quarantine.
Bidari told reporters that the committee was preparing to change the modality by identifying high-risk areas, medium-risk areas and low-risk areas after reviewing the lockdown.
President of the Nepal Medical Association Lochan Karki said that it was suggested to be vigilant even if there is no need to panic and to make proper arrangements for quarantine at the local level.
The government had first enforced the lockdown on March 24 for a week after the second coronavirus case was reported in Nepal.
The first lockdown had been extended until March 31, the second one was extended until April 7, the third until April 15, the fourth until April 27, the fifth one until May 7, and the sixth one is expiring on May 18.
Nepal has reported 258 COVID-19 cases with 35 recovered so far.