Mobile World Congress canceled over coronavirus fears

Khabarhub

February 13, 2020

1 MIN READ

Mobile World Congress canceled over coronavirus fears

Visitors arrive at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona,. Photo: AFP/File Photo)

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

BARCELONA: Mobile World Congress, the premier mobile industry conference, was canceled by its organizers over concerns about the spread of the coronavirus.

“With due regard to the safe and healthy environment in Barcelona and the host country today, the GSMA has canceled MWC Barcelona 2020 because the global concern regarding the coronavirus outbreak, travel concern and other circumstances, make it impossible for the GSMA to hold the event” John Hoffman, the chief executive officer of conference organizer GSMA Ltd., said in a statement.

Intel Corp., MediaTek Inc., AT&T Inc., Cisco Systems Inc., and Sprint Corp. joined Ericsson AB, Sony Corp., and others earlier this week in canceling plans to attend MWC Barcelona later this month.

Intel said it’s pulling out due to “an abundance of caution.” AT&T said “the most responsible decision” is to withdraw from the show to protect employees and customers.

(with inputs from Agencies)

Just In

0