Thursday, April 3rd, 2025

Sri Lanka attacks: Mourning begins as death toll rises to 310


23 April 2019  

Time taken to read : 2 Minute


  • A
  • A
  • A

COLOMBO: The mass funeral has begun in Sri Lanka as the island country marks a national day of mourning for the victims of Sunday’s bomb blasts.

Media reports said that the death toll of the attacks on churches and hotels has increased to 310.

Sri Lanka observed three minutes of silence on Tuesday, A state of emergency is in effect to prevent any further attacks.

The government of Sri Lanka has blamed the blasts on local Islamist group National Thowheed Jamath (NTJ), which it claimed has links with some international terrorist groups.

Sri Lankan police have so far arrested over 40 suspects in connection with the attack, reports said.

Flags have been lowered to half-mast and people bowed their heads in silence in respect to the victims.

It should be noted that the Sri Lankan authorities had received warnings two weeks before the Easter Sunday terrorist attacks, a cabinet spokesman admitted on Monday.

Sri Lanka’s health minister Rajitha Senaratne said fourteen days before the incident, they had been informed about these incidents. (Agencies)

Publish Date : 23 April 2019 11:11 AM

Economic Digest: Nepal’s Business News in a Snap

KATHMANDU: Economic Digest offers a concise yet comprehensive overview of

Kathmandu’s air pollution reaches hazardous levels

KATHMANDU: Air pollution in Kathmandu Valley is increasing at an

Local and westerly winds influencing Nepal’s weather patterns

KATHMANDU: The Department of Hydrology and Meteorology’s Weather Forecasting Division

Today’s foreign currency exchange rates

KATHMANDU: The Nepal Rastra Bank has announced the foreign exchange

Over 1,100 people benefit from free health camp in Myagdi

MYAGDI: A free health camp held in Beni provided medical