KATHMANDU: Khabarhub brings you a glimpse of major developments of the day in Nepal, including politics, business/economy, sports, entertainment, and more.
SC orders release of former minister Raj Kumar Gupta on Rs 5 million bail
The Supreme Court has ordered the release of former minister Raj Kumar Gupta on a cash bail of Rs 5 million or a bank guarantee of equivalent value in a bribery case. A joint bench of Justices Sharanga Subedi and Sunil Kumar Pokharel issued the order on Tuesday, according to the written verdict made public on Wednesday. The court directed authorities to release Gupta on bail pending trial in accordance with Section 7(d) of the Special Court Act, 2059.
SC seeks written explanation over Durga Prasai’s arrest
The Supreme Court has ordered authorities to submit a written explanation within 24 hours regarding the arrest of medical entrepreneur Durga Prasai. A single bench of Justice Mahesh Sharma Poudel issued the order on Wednesday in response to a habeas corpus petition filed by advocate Ashish Luitel on behalf of Prasai, who is currently being held at the District Police Range, Bhaktapur. The court directed authorities to submit a written response through the Office of the Attorney General within 24 hours, stating the legal grounds and reasons behind the arrest.
Congress-led government will continue in Madhesh Province: Gagan Thapa
Nepali Congress President Gagan Kumar Thapa has said that the Congress-led government in Madhesh Province will continue. Addressing the “Nepali Congress Province and Local Level-Centered Madhesh Province Gathering” and the “Jara Abhiyan” (Root Campaign) organized in Bardibas on Wednesday, Thapa said the Nepali Congress would continue leading the Madhesh provincial government. Thapa also instructed party leaders and cadres to connect every activity of the Nepali Congress and its leaders with social movements and public engagement.
Pokhara yet to secure regular international flights despite new airport
More than three years after the inauguration of Pokhara International Airport, regular international flights from Pokhara have yet to materialize, with the airport largely limited to domestic operations and occasional charter services. Built with an investment of nearly Rs22 billion in loans, the airport was officially inaugurated on January 1, 2023, amid expectations that it would transform tourism and regional connectivity in western Nepal. Although Himalaya Airlines launched the first scheduled commercial flight on the Pokhara–Lhasa route in March 2025, the service was discontinued within a year due to low passenger numbers, according to Airport General Manager Jagannath Niraula.
Ruby Khan ends 23-day hunger strike after 5-point deal with govt
Rights activist Ruby Khan has ended her 23-day hunger strike after reaching a five-point agreement with the government regarding the investigation into the alleged abduction and murder case of Nirmala Kurmi. The agreement was signed on Tuesday following talks between Khan and a government delegation. She formally ended the strike after being offered water by Deepa Dahal, press and research advisor to Prime Minister Balendra Shah. Khan had been staging the hunger strike at a Nepalgunj Hospital, demanding a fair investigation into the 2021 case involving Kurmi’s alleged abduction, unlawful detention and murder.
Birendranagar Mayor apologizes to woman mistreated by municipal police while selling bayberry
Birendranagar Municipality has apologized to a woman who was allegedly mistreated by municipal police while selling bayberry fruits on the roadside in Birendranagar. Mayor Mohanmaya Dhakal personally apologized to Dhamila Chaulagain after inviting her to the municipal office and also provided relief and compensation. However, the amount of compensation has not been disclosed. The incident involved municipal police personnel allegedly behaving improperly toward Chaulagain while she was selling bayberry from a basket near the City Bus Park area in Ward No. 6.
SC restores old construction standards along riverbanks in Kathmandu Valley
The Supreme Court has reviewed its earlier order on construction permits along rivers and streams in the Kathmandu Valley and reinstated the previous building setback standards. A full bench of Justices Sunil Kumar Pokharel, Balkrishna Dhakal, and Nripadhwaj Niraula issued the decision, allowing construction in accordance with the standards set on Mangsir 1, 2065 B.S. According to the ruling, a 20-meter setback must be maintained from the banks of the Bagmati, Bishnumati, and Manohara rivers for construction activities.
Govt committed to removing Nepal from FATF grey list: Finance Minister Wagle
Finance Minister Dr. Swarnim Wagle has said the government is fully committed to implementing necessary reforms to ensure Nepal’s removal from the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) “grey list”. He made the remarks during a discussion held at the Ministry of Finance on Tuesday regarding the action plan under the International Cooperation Review Group (ICRG) of the Asia/Pacific Group on Money Laundering (APG). During the meeting with an APG delegation, Minister Wagle reiterated that the government would mobilize all available resources and strengthen institutional capacity to address concerns raised by international monitoring bodies.
Buddha Air suspends Nepalgunj–Pokhara direct flights for one month
Buddha Air has temporarily suspended its direct flights between Nepalgunj and Pokhara, which had been in operation for nearly five years, citing low passenger demand and rising operational costs. According to Buddha Air Nepalgunj Station Chief Binita Bikram Shah, the suspension has been made for one month due to a decline in the number of Indian religious tourists and high fuel expenses. He said the drop in passenger flow was also linked to the month-long “Malmas” period, during which arrivals of Indian tourists significantly decrease.
Grade 11 classes to begin from June 15
The government is preparing to begin Grade 11 classes from June 15 as part of efforts to keep the academic calendar on schedule. The Ministry of Education has prepared a work plan to start classes from June 15 following the early publication of the Secondary Education Examination (SEE) results this year. This year’s SEE results were published within 29 days. After the results were made public on May 11, schools across the country have begun student enrollment processes.
NEPSE Index surges by 30 points
The Nepal Stock Exchange (NEPSE) index posted a strong gain on Wednesday, rising by 30.08 points to close at 2,754.48. The benchmark index increased by 1.10 percent compared to the previous trading session. The sensitive index, which tracks the performance of blue-chip companies, also climbed by 3.68 points to settle at 471.06. A total of 10.66 million shares of 346 companies were traded, with transactions worth Rs 3.82 billion recorded during the day.
Harka Sampang says ready to face suspension to hold govt accountable to Parliament
Shram Sanskriti Party Chair Harka Sampang has said his party is ready to face suspension if necessary in its bid to ensure government accountability to Parliament. Speaking to journalists at the Parliament Building in Singha Durbar on Wednesday, Sampang said his party’s protest will continue in the coming days as well, and that they are prepared to be suspended for raising their voices. He said they will continue opposing the government for a full five-year term while in the opposition.
Govt tables two election-related bills in House of Representatives
The government has presented two bills in the House of Representatives aimed at replacing ordinances issued for election-related purposes. In Wednesday’s meeting of the lower house, Minister for Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs Sobita Gautam tabled the “House of Representatives Election (First Amendment) Bill, 2026” and the “Voter List (First Amendment) Bill, 2026” on behalf of Prime Minister Balen Shah. A proposal seeking permission to present the bills was earlier passed by a majority in the House.
Private sector urges transformative budget focused on structural economic reform
As the government prepares the upcoming fiscal year’s budget, the private sector has urged authorities to introduce a transformative budget aimed at structural reforms of the national economy. Business leaders say the country needs not just incremental changes but a fundamental shift in its current economic model, and have expressed readiness to support the government in implementing such reforms. The private sector has also noted that both the government and the private sector are entering a phase of renewed leadership and policy thinking, raising expectations for a more reform-oriented economic direction.
Angdembe says govt created vacuum by dismissing officials from sensitive bodies
Nepali Congress parliamentary party leader Bhishmaraj Angdembe has accused the government of creating an institutional vacuum by dismissing office bearers from sensitive state bodies. Speaking during the zero hour of Wednesday’s House of Representatives meeting, Angdembe said the government removed officials appointed through political power-sharing arrangements, leaving several institutions vacant. He stated that former office bearers of sensitive institutions, including commissions related to transitional justice, had been dismissed and stressed the need to appoint capable and impartial individuals without delay.
Lawmakers raise concerns over health services, disaster response, road safety in House meeting
Lawmakers drew the government’s attention to issues including healthcare services, disaster management, squatters’ rehabilitation, road safety, and social inclusion during the emergency hour of Wednesday’s House of Representatives meeting. Lawmaker Gyanu Paudel stressed the need for effective implementation of citizens’ constitutional right to healthcare services. She said access to quality healthcare services has still not been ensured across the country and pointed to shortages of essential medical supplies at the 93-year-old Bhim Hospital in Rupandehi.
SC Justice Sapana Pradhan Malla goes on 20-day leave after Sharma’s appointment
Sapana Pradhan Malla has gone on a 20-day leave following the appointment of Manoj Kumar Sharma as Chief Justice. Supreme Court spokesperson Arjun Koirala confirmed that Malla has taken leave for 20 days. After former Chief Justice Prakash Man Singh Raut retired upon reaching the constitutional age limit of 65, Malla, as the senior-most justice, had been serving as Acting Chief Justice since March 1.
UML lawmaker Baral accuses government of inhumane treatment toward squatters
CPN-UML lawmaker Guru Prasad Baral has accused the government led by Balen Shah of continuing inhumane treatment toward squatters displaced from Kathmandu Valley and other areas. Speaking during the emergency hour of Wednesday’s House of Representatives meeting, Baral criticized the government for removing squatters without ensuring sustainable rehabilitation arrangements. “Just yesterday, the government made a serious mistake. It displaced squatters without arranging sustainable housing,” Baral said.
Speaker Aryal warns lawmakers protesting with placards in House meeting
Speaker Dol Prasad Aryal has warned lawmakers, including Shram Sanskriti Party Chair Harka Sampang, after they staged a protest inside the House of Representatives on Wednesday. At the beginning of the House meeting, Sampang and several lawmakers stood in protest carrying placards, prompting the Speaker to issue a warning. Speaker Aryal cautioned lawmakers against disrupting parliamentary proceedings and urged them to maintain decorum in the House.








Comment