Mayors’ Forum urges Finance Minister Pun to address NEA-local levels electricity dues dispute « Khabarhub
Monday, June 17th, 2024

Mayors’ Forum urges Finance Minister Pun to address NEA-local levels electricity dues dispute


26 April 2024  

Time taken to read : 3 Minute


  • A
  • A
  • A

LALITPUR: The Kathmandu Valley Mayors’ Forum has appealed to Finance Minister Barshaman Pun to resolve the electricity dues of local governments up to the current fiscal year.

Three months ago, the Nepal Electricity Authority (NEA) issued a circular along with electricity bills to local levels, prompting them to clear their outstanding dues.

On Thursday, a delegation led by President of the Kathmandu Valley Mayors’ Forum and Mayor of Lalitpur Metropolitan City, Chiribabu Maharjan, met with Finance Minister Pun to discuss the matter.

President Maharjan stated that they are willing to pay the electricity charges from the upcoming fiscal year. He emphasized the need to settle the outstanding dues for the current fiscal year and proposed implementing a ’60/40 arrangement’ from the next fiscal year.

Under this arrangement, local governments would bear 60% of the total electricity charges, with the remaining 40% covered by the NEA.

The local levels and Mayors’ Forum of the Kathmandu Valley have been protesting after the NEA issued a circular asking them to clear electricity tariffs dating back to 2074 BS.

The delegation members expressed dissatisfaction with the accuracy of the amounts mentioned in the bills. They criticized the NEA for disappointing elected representatives who are committed to making the Kathmandu Valley a brighter and safer place.

Mayor of Chandragiri Municipality and Forum General-Secretary Ghanshyam Giri stated that they are prepared to pay the electricity tariffs from the upcoming fiscal year.

Earlier, the Forum delegation had requested Energy Minister Shakti Bahadur Basnet to reconsider the electricity tariff amounts for local levels.

Similarly, the Finance Minister assured that discussions would be held regarding the demands presented by the Kathmandu Valley Mayors’ Forum. He pledged to address legal issues and consider amendments to laws related to settling electricity dues. Additionally, he directed the NEA not to disconnect power supplies to local levels.

Publish Date : 26 April 2024 16:12 PM

Capital grapples with petrol shortage as tanker drivers protest (with photos)

KATHMANDU: The Nepal Petroleum Tanker Driver Association is staging a

PM Dahal refutes reports of replacing the IGP

KATHMANDU: Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal has refuted reports suggesting

Traffic resumed on Prithvi Highway

CHITWAN: The Prithvi Highway, which was obstructed due to a

Gold price down by Rs 600 per tola

KATHMANDU: The price of gold decreased by Rs 600 per

Chinese national arrested in Kapan with 6 kg gold

KATHMANDU: The Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) has arrested a Chinese