Government debt reaches Rs 1728.93 billion

External debt decreases due to US dollar exchange rate fluctuation

Eak Raj Bastola

February 21, 2022


Government debt reaches Rs 1728.93 billion

Public Debt Management Office. (File Photo)

KATHMANDU: The total government debt has reached Rs 1728.93 billion at the end of Jan 14, 2022. Out of this amount, external debt is Rs 948.98 billion, and internal debt Rs 779.94 billion.

According to a report published by Public Debt Management Office, the total debt of the Government of Nepal for the six months of the Fiscal year 2078/79 has increased by 0.33%. External debt has decreased by 0.03% (due to exchange fluctuation) and internal debt has increased by 0.78%.

During the review period, the total increment of internal debt is Rs 6 billion whereas the external debt position is decreased by Rs 248.39 million.

Debt receipt of external debt during the review period is Rs 23.17 billion. Principal repayment consists of Rs 6.95 billion.

Fluctuation in the exchange rate has resulted in an exchange gain of Rs 16.47 billion for the current quarter resulting in to decrease in the outstanding debt position.

Similarly, at the end of January 14 of F/Y 2078/079, the total debt to GDP ratio was 40.53% whereas the external debt to GDP ratio was 18.28% and the internal debt to GDP ratio was 22.24%.

The total receipt of debt as of the 2nd quarter of the Fiscal Year 2078/79 is Rs 29.17 billion out of which Rs 23.17 billion is received from external sources and Rs 6 billion is from internal sources.

Out of external debt, 87.37% i.e. Rs 20.24 billion is received from multilateral sources, and the rest 12.63% i.e. Rs 2.92 is from bilateral sources.

During this quarter, total internal debt is received from the new issue of treasury bills of NPR 6 billion. However, the rollover of treasury bills (domestic borrowings) is not considered a new issue.