Tuesday, May 19th, 2026

Former Real Madrid president Lorenzo Sanz dies of coronavirus



MADRID: Former Real Madrid president Lorenzo Sanz has died aged 76, his son Lorenzo said on Saturday.

The former Real president was taken to hospital on Tuesday, with newspaper El Mundo saying he had been suffering from the novel coronavirus. His son said he had a respiratory disease.

Sanz presided over the club between 1995 and 2000, in which they won two Champions League titles and one La Liga crown among other trophies.

Their 1998 Champions League triumph was the first time they had won Europe’s top prize, which they have lifted a record 13 times, in 32 years, Reuters reported.

“My father has just passed away. He didn’t deserve it to end this way. One of the bravest and hard-working people who I have known in my life has left us,” Lorenzo Sanz Jr. said on Twitter.

(With inputs from agencies)

Publish Date : 22 March 2020 10:09 AM

Parliamentary hearing committee proceeds with chief justice hearing despite opposition objections

KATHMANDU: The first meeting of the Parliamentary Hearing Committee convened

Opposition lawmakers object to rushed hearing schedule for proposed chief justice

KATHMANDU: Opposition lawmakers have strongly objected to the schedule set

UML objects to fast-track hearing on proposed chief justice

KATHMANDU: The CPN-UML has objected to what it called an

HoR meeting taking place today

KATHMANDU: A meeting of the House of Representatives is being

Three Chepang children die after eating wild mushrooms in Chitwan

BHARATPUR: Three children have died after falling critically ill from