Image for Representation
BEIJING: Nine members of a family have died after eating homemade corn noodles in Jixi city of Northeast China’s Heilongjiang province, Red Star News reported.
During a 12-member family gathering on the morning of Oct 5, nine older family members ate “Suantangzi”, a thick type of noodle made from fermented corn flour.
Three young people present refused to try the food because of its strange taste, according to local government.
The nine who ate the noodles felt ill in succession several hours later and eight were confirmed dead as of Oct 11, while the only survivor – a 47-year-old woman surnamed Li – received treatment in a hospital. Li died at noon on Monday, according to her son.
A high concentration of bongkrekic acid, a respiratory toxin produced by the bacterium pseudomonas cocovenenans, was detected in the corn noodles, as well as in the gastric fluid of those who became ill, the provincial health commission said on Oct 12.
It also was found that the ingredients of the homemade food had been frozen for nearly one year.
(With inputs from Agencies)