Monday, May 18th, 2026

Australia batsman Steve Smith ruled out of third Ashes Test



AGENCIES: Australia batsman Steve Smith was hit in the neck by a 92 mph bouncer from Jofra Archer on day four of the second Test, but passed an initial concussion test and returned to continue his innings.

Coach Justin Langer confirmed his absence after Smith sat out Australia’s training session on Tuesday.

Smith has scored 142, 144 and 92 in his three innings so far in the series.

It has not been confirmed who will replace Smith in the Australia team for the third Test at Headingley, which starts on Thursday.

Former captain Smith was replaced by Marnus Labuschagne in the second Test at Lord’s, with Labuschagne becoming Test cricket’s first concussion substitute.

He made 59 as Australia survived a tense final evening to claim a draw and preserve their 1-0 series lead with three matches to play.

Brain injury charity Headway said it was “incredibly dangerous” for Smith to resume his innings.

“You need to take an ‘if in doubt’ approach,” said Headway deputy chief executive Luke Griggs.

 

Publish Date : 21 August 2019 06:21 AM

Applications invited for vacant Vice-Chancellor posts at health science academies

KATHMANDU: Applications have been invited for the appointment of vacant

House to continue budget discussion Tuesday; finance minister to respond Wednesday

KATHMANDU: The House of Representatives will continue discussions on the

Nepal Bar Association to hold symbolic lantern protest over Supreme Court situation

KATHMANDU: The Nepal Bar Association has announced a symbolic protest

16 complaints filed against proposed Chief Justice Manoj Sharma

KATHMANDU: Sixteen complaints have been filed against proposed Chief Justice

Nepal Medical Council suspends decision to revoke licenses of 36 non-resident doctors

KATHMANDU: The Nepal Medical Council has suspended its decision to