At least 37 killed in attack on Canadian mine convoy in Burkina Faso

Khabarhub

November 7, 2019

Reading Time: < 1 minute

At least 37 killed in attack on Canadian mine convoy in Burkina Faso

Photo: Reuters

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

NAIROBI: Thirty-seven civilians were killed and more than 60 wounded when gunmen ambushed a convoy transporting workers of Canadian gold miner Semafo in eastern Burkina Faso, regional authorities said on Wednesday.

The attack is the deadliest in recent years as the military struggles to contain Islamist violence that has overrun parts of Burkina Faso, in west Africa. Semafo tightened security last year following armed incidents near two of its mines in the country.

Semafo said in a statement earlier that the attack on a convoy of five buses with military escort took place on the road to its Boungou mine in the eastern region of Est, about 40 kilometers from Boungou, and that there were several fatalities and injuries.

(Agencies)

Just In

0